The Department of Human Resources was created in 1935 to administer to the assistance programs that were part of the Social Security Act. These programs were developed to help an American public that was suffering through the financial hardships of the Great Depression. The agency's original name was the Department of Public Welfare. In 1955, it was renamed the Department of Pensions and Security. The current name was adopted in 1986. Some programs have changed over the years to meet the changing needs of Alabama. However, the agency's primary goal has always been and always will be to help people in need.The agency currently has about 4,200 State Merit System employees, most of whom work in the agency's 67 county departments. Although the agency employs a wide variety of professionals, social workers represent the largest category of DHR employees.
HeadquartersGordon Persons Building, Suite 2104
50 North Ripley Street