The first telephone was introduced in Trinidad and Tobago in 1883 and the first Telephone Exchange was located adjacent to the Town Hall (now City Hall) on Frederick Street. By 1898, the Telephone System had developed sufficiently to justify enactment of the Telephone Communication Ordinance.Around 1890, the telephone service extended westward out of Port of Spain to Carenage and then onwards to one customer in Chaguaramas. In the early 1900's, the government operated telephone lines in rural areas, namely from Arima to Manzanilla and from San Fernando to Cedros. History records show that a Mr. Bell of Bacolet started the service in Tobago.The early system consisted of local battery operated telephones connected to a magneto switchboard, a far cry from the sophisticated electronic system which is in operation today. Special cables called enamel cables were developed for use in this country, and it is reported that their use became worldwide because of their durability.The British owned Trinidad Consolidated Telephones Limited was responsible for the early developmental growth of the Telephone Network in Trinidad and Tobago from the mid-1930's until 1960.